Quantcast

anyone with first hand exp w/ wrx sti's?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
La wants one & prolly within the next 12 months we will pull the trigger. Looking at used. Not sure if one year is better than the other...or any of that jazz.
I will be combing the forums for the next few weeks/months.

Fun Fact...she learned to operate a manual transmission on a motorcycle but has never driven a car with one. :rofl:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How used?

I would use extreme caution and find a local place that deals with Subaru's. Quite a lot of them out there have been modified and then put back to "stock" when they are sold.

Take your time and find a good one. Get a compression test.

I say use caution, only because of how bad some are modified. We're talking people putting blow off valves and intakes on them, without tuning them correctly. It'd be hard to know if they put all the OEM parts back on. But when you find a good one, you'll love it.

My WRX in the snow is a riot. So much grip and yet you can fling it around corners and get the thing sideways, if that's your thing.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
How used?

I would use extreme caution and find a local place that deals with Subaru's. Quite a lot of them out there have been modified and then put back to "stock" when they are sold.
Not to mention that a vast majority of them are raped whilst owned.

Which, I guess, is the point of an STi... but it makes for :popcorn: for the rest of us when someone buys a used one.

So I guess what I'm getting at is GET A USED ONE!

:popcorn:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The plus side of one that has been modified in a good way and left that way when sold, you'll save on the cost of doing it later. You know you'll want that Subie rumble....

As long as they aren't E-Bay crap parts from China, its been tuned and regularly maintained and documented you should be good.

Keep in mind that these engines have timing belts and when you jump up to the STi, you also inherit the bigger Brembo brakes and added cost of that.

But it'll be worth it. I fully encourage you to get one. :busted:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
yeah. the search will be long & arduous to find one I'm confident in dropping coin on.
she loves her OB but wants something more fun.
not sure i want to buy a tuned one. ima noob in that dept.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Can confirm, for most daily driving the WRX will be good enough. I want the snow to come back just for this.

Also, for shits-n-giggles.....

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What about a Legacy GT? Turbo and most won't be modified like the WRX/STi's out there.

Lots of options for exhaust and other stuff too.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I had an older one, it was very reliable. Even with stage 2 mods, it was pretty damn reliable. They don't have massive wheel horsepower, but relatively short gear ratios and turbo awd makes it launch at lower speeds like nothing else. Rpm will buzz relatively high during highway travel. Sucked in the snow with performance tires. Not as horrible as a rear wheel drive, but still not good, tires make a huge difference. Subaru is usually a little slow to put new technology out, but the new 2.0 in the wrx is a gem, interiors are better these days.

I like the 2008+ stis due to the hatch and 2010+wrxs, not so much the latest ones due to less function. Beware stis too, unless you really want that hard edgy car, it's harder than the wrx in just about every way.

Avoid modified ones.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What about a Legacy GT? Turbo and most won't be modified like the WRX/STi's out there.

Lots of options for exhaust and other stuff too.
Those haven't been made for a while now if I recall? Id avoid a turbo Subaru pushing 120k miles, it could probably use new gaskets all around, clutch, etc.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Those haven't been made for a while now if I recall? Id avoid a turbo Subaru pushing 120k miles, it could probably use new gaskets all around, clutch, etc.
They still make them, I think... Maybe not offered down there? Though, the new Legacy is horrible looking.

Nothing like this bad boy...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Fun to drive, but fucking terrible cars. I wrench on a couple for side cash, and there's much side cash to be made from them, especially one that's been modded by an amature. Motors, trannys, lots of shift linkaged, struts, bushings, bushings, and more bushings. Even a friend's Outback that they bought 2 years old off a lease has been a total POS, not quite VW bad, but pretty bad.

People who own them love them, and there's no talking them out of how perfect Subis are, even when they hit you up for a ride to work because their trans ate itself, again. It's like Scientology, if you stand on the outside looking it, it sounds like absolute insanity, but once you're a member, fuckin' Eh, all hail L Ron!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Fun to drive, but fucking terrible cars. I wrench on a couple for side cash, and there's much side cash to be made from them, especially one that's been modded by an amature. Motors, trannys, lots of shift linkaged, struts, bushings, bushings, and more bushings. Even a friend's Outback that they bought 2 years old off a lease has been a total POS, not quite VW bad, but pretty bad.

People who own them love them, and there's no talking them out of how perfect Subis are, even when they hit you up for a ride to work because their trans ate itself, again. It's like Scientology, if you stand on the outside looking it, it sounds like absolute insanity, but once you're a member, fuckin' Eh, all hail L Ron!
BUT THEY'RE THE BESTTTTTTTTTT!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

I have an impreza that I can't wait until the day it has an "accidental" fire.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Had an '04 WRX wagon. Fun car, but the seats were fucking terrible. Sold it after only 65,000 for my GTI. Spending more than 2 hours in the drivers seat was excruciatingly painful. I have driven coast to coast in the GTI 4 times. That would have been pure torture in the WRX.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Had an '04 WRX wagon. Fun car, but the seats were fucking terrible. Sold it after only 65,000 for my GTI. Spending more than 2 hours in the drivers seat was excruciatingly painful. I have driven coast to coast in the GTI 4 times. That would have been pure torture in the WRX.
This. I looked at WRXs after my first M3, but the interiors were so shitty, and the seats so uncomfortable that it put me off. I bought an S4 instead, and all things considered, I think that was less painful. :D

I'm back in an M3 though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well interiors aren't really much different these days on 30k+ cars. That huge discrepancy doesn't exist anymore, but there is lots of bias left.

For as hard as I beat my wrx, I can't complain much. Steering bushings wore and needed replacement at 120k, did the timing belt myself at 105, was dead reliable otherwise.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Well interiors aren't really much different these days on 30k+ cars. That huge discrepancy doesn't exist anymore, but there is lots of bias left.
I was looking at used models, but having sat in a co-worker's '15 WRX, I don't agree with that at all.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!

Mom wrecked the Volvo and now I drive one of these. I like it.

It smells funny when the cab heats up. It gives me a headache....

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Mom wrecked the Volvo and now I drive one of these. I like it.

It smells funny when the cab heats up. It gives me a headache....
Some fuel rails are known to be leaky until the car heats up. Kinda scary, but none have burst into flames that I know about.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
We're looking at finally replacing our Ford Focus (can anyone say lemonade?). I've always liked the subaru impreza especially the wrx/sti's but I have never owned a wrx or sti version. I did own an impreza RS coupe (99) and it was a good oil burning reliable little machine. I had no complaints, other than the oil burning but it had 150k and I ripped the piss out of it.

We're considering the 2015 impreza sport premium as a replacement. Seems they had a lot of oil consumption issues in the 12-14 years, but optimistic they have that fixed?

Off topic non helpful post. Sorry.

Anyone besides jonkranked own a current generation impreza want to chime in?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
We're looking at finally replacing our Ford Focus (can anyone say lemonade?). I've always liked the subaru impreza especially the wrx/sti's but I have never owned a wrx or sti version. I did own an impreza RS coupe (99) and it was a good oil burning reliable little machine. I had no complaints, other than the oil burning but it had 150k and I ripped the piss out of it.

We're considering the 2015 impreza sport premium as a replacement. Seems they had a lot of oil consumption issues in the 12-14 years, but optimistic they have that fixed?

I've read the oil issue is still there sporadically on the new direct injection engine.

Another reason to get the STi. :busted:

My WRX burns zero oil, which I'm actually kinda shocked about.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007

We have a '14 of exactly what you're looking at getting, down to the trim package. We did special order with a manual tranny. It's my wife's daily driver and she loves it.
Pros:
Most back seat legroom for guests/baby seats that we found in hatchbacks.
More storage in hatch than the Mazda3 and Focus
Manual transmission makes it so you can have some fun with the meager power (her stock 98 civic was actually much quicker, likely due to weight)
Fun to drive in corners
Good mileage (considering AWD)
AWD for the passes
Rubber mats! Good pooch car
Torklift makes a hitch that exits via the bumper cut out, allowing you to have a bike rack that will never hit the ground, even on such a low car. We have one for our T2 and it's great- hidden too.
Comfy on road trips
Cons:
Gutless (like a lot of cars, I suppose)
Road noise- apparently addressed on '15 with better insulation/thicker windows
Cupholder layout sucks- may not be as bad on CVT.
Sliding armrest feels cheap and is kind of annoying- it should lock IMO

Overall, we're really happy with it. Especially for the price brand new compared to SUVs that are mostly overkill for us.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Oh! This is my thread. I had an 03 Impreza, 04 Forester XT, and an 04 Forester XT with an 80% swap to STI. I would avoid the EJ20 (2L) engines that come in the WRX. You don't get much torque due to the smaller block and they have to be run high RPM to keep the power up. That leaves you with the 04-08 Forester XT's and assuming you want a wagon, 08-14 STI 5-doors.
You will get a better deal out of an XT for sure, but most are pushing 100k+ now. They are generally treated better though, as they fall more into soccer mom category. For the STI, you want to go over it with a fine tooth comb for anything that might look modified. Also look for signs of work, worn screw heads, scratches near where the intake mounts, etc. The most common mods are going to be exhaust, intakes, wheels, and short throw shifters.
If buying non-dealer second hand, ask what they do for a living. In my experience within Subie world, engineers are the best then older sales/marketing people. Don't buy one from somebody younger than 30. If you go dealer, get CPO or a full dealer warranty. They are cars know to be abused.

Not sure on your size, but if you are larger the bolstering can be a bit uncomfortable in the STI.
Realistically, if i was buying a used Subie, I would be looking for a Legacy YT? Full on a 30+ year old with a kid. The abuse level are lowest there and because they are family wagons, have less appeal to the ricer group.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oh! This is my thread. I had an 03 Impreza, 04 Forester XT, and an 04 Forester XT with an 80% swap to STI. I would avoid the EJ20 (2L) engines that come in the WRX. You don't get much torque due to the smaller block and they have to be run high RPM to keep the power up. That leaves you with the 04-08 Forester XT's and assuming you want a wagon, 08-14 STI 5-doors.
You will get a better deal out of an XT for sure, but most are pushing 100k+ now. They are generally treated better though, as they fall more into soccer mom category. For the STI, you want to go over it with a fine tooth comb for anything that might look modified. Also look for signs of work, worn screw heads, scratches near where the intake mounts, etc. The most common mods are going to be exhaust, intakes, wheels, and short throw shifters.
If buying non-dealer second hand, ask what they do for a living. In my experience within Subie world, engineers are the best then older sales/marketing people. Don't buy one from somebody younger than 30. If you go dealer, get CPO or a full dealer warranty. They are cars know to be abused.

Not sure on your size, but if you are larger the bolstering can be a bit uncomfortable in the STI.
Realistically, if i was buying a used Subie, I would be looking for a Legacy YT? Full on a 30+ year old with a kid. The abuse level are lowest there and because they are family wagons, have less appeal to the ricer group.
Stage 2 on the 04 wrx (2.0) is upwards of 280lb tq, it's not bad at all, the tune helps, the 4eat is horrendous and should be avoided at all costs. I refuse to believe there's a huge difference due to the .5L of displacement difference, it's more about turbo spool, how the exhaust and other parts allow the turbine to spin up, twin scroll turbos (which Subaru avoided offering in the U.S. forms some stupid reason), etc. They are both tiny engines compared to large displacement engines like v8s, etc. There are other better benefits for the 2.5, like the forged block and cylinders in the Sti engine and the turbo model on the forester, but realistically it's hard to find a forester without the 4eat and an older wrx that doesn't have tons of miles.

The resale on barely used wrx/stis is crazy though, sometimes ones with 5-10k go for more than new ones around here.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I had a modded WRX. Fast, liked to rotate :D (at least with coilovers and big sways). It also was loud, rattly, unreliable (no thanks to the mods), and generally a car I'm glad I don't have any more.

Mods that I recall: UTEC with launch control and no lift shift, VF34, injectors and Walbro, FMIC with nitrous cooling, water injection, STI RA center diff, coilovers, rotors and lines. Fun car at 22 psi but overall not worth it. My subsequent RX-8, cramped and unreliable as it was, was a much better vehicle.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I had a modded WRX. Fast, liked to rotate :D (at least with coilovers and big sways). It also was loud, rattly, unreliable (no thanks to the mods), and generally a car I'm glad I don't have any more.

Mods that I recall: UTEC with launch control and no lift shift, VF34, injectors and Walbro, FMIC with nitrous cooling, water injection, STI RA center diff, coilovers, rotors and lines. Fun car at 22 psi but overall not worth it. My subsequent RX-8, cramped and unreliable as it was, was a much better vehicle.
Pics?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Those were lost when my toshiclark.com server was doused in a car wash thanks to my wife's at-that-time car's leaky trunk seal. Black bugeye WRX, carbon hood with requisite hood pins, gold '04 STI BBS wheels, tint, FMIC: imagine that and that's what it looked like.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Those were lost when my toshiclark.com server was doused in a car wash thanks to my wife's at-that-time car's leaky trunk seal. Black bugeye WRX, carbon hood with requisite hood pins, gold '04 STI BBS wheels, tint, FMIC: imagine that and that's what it looked like.
I am quite sure he wanted to see pics of that RX-8 (I do.) :brows:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I am quite sure he wanted to see pics of that RX-8 (I do.) :brows:
Red Touring (?) trim. Looked bone stock. Only mods were an aux-in card for the stereo and an extra set of OEM wheels with Kumho V710s for autocross weekends.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
No backup? Rookie........ :busted:

This one looks nice.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have backups of my desktop computer (not the ancient server) from that time. The photos exist. They're just not hosted now and I don't care enough to dig 'em up. :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

To come back to this, what was unreliable on yours?

My WRX has been "stage 2" for almost 9 months now and all I've had to do is oil changes, the thing has been great. Though, yours sounds well beyond what mine will ever be....22 psi is huge.