Quantcast

Health Care Reform is Dead

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
No shift to part time work.

I recall all the crazies saying americans, while already lazy, would now be more lazy since they can get insurance without working full time. Hows that working out?

The researchers explain that two factors could prompt Obamacare to increase the amount of part-time workers in the U.S. On one hand, they say, employers could cause the shift by cutting hours, as mentioned above. On the other hand, some workers may have been working full-time largely to obtain health insurance. Now that those workers can get coverage through the health exchanges or Medicaid expansion, they might voluntarily decide to work fewer hours.

The study found that neither scenario seems to be the case, at least for now. Though plenty of polls and surveys suggested that employers had either already cut hours or contemplated doing so because of the law, so far, no economic data exists suggesting this has actually happened. Instead, the researchers say the persistently high level of part-time employment across the economy is more likely a product of a slow recovery of full-time jobs in the wake of the Great Recession.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Yowzers. Benefits election season has set upon the hangar. PPO is up 46 bucks a month for a family for 2015. It remains more than $100 more per month than any plan on the CO exchange for 2015 and provides fewer services. *le sigh*

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
How's deductible, etc.? I wasn't impressed with the exchange offerings when I had my uninsured month this July, between jobs. (We winged it--I could have signed up for COBRA retroactively had we had an expense over the $1500 premium.)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
How's deductible, etc.? I wasn't impressed with the exchange offerings when I had my uninsured month this July, between jobs. (We winged it--I could have signed up for COBRA retroactively had we had an expense over the $1500 premium.)
Hey Toshi, if that happens to you again, look into short term health insurance. It has always been dirt cheap and was not effected by the new health laws. It is good coverage, it just does not have nickel and dime coverage like copays. Most of them are standard 80% plans with low deductibles and a million coverage limit. Really cheap and you can buy it from 1 to 6 months at a time. That way you can drop the hammer in your prius on an exit ramp knowing you are protected! : )

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
For me the choice was easy as COBRA is retroactive to date of departure if invoked. We ended up having no costs/claims that month, but if we had I'd have paid out of pocket if less than $1500 and paid the $1500 COBRA otherwise. $0 is cheaper than all, especially if the alternative is 20% coinsurance.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Yowzers. Benefits election season has set upon the hangar. PPO is up 46 bucks a month for a family for 2015. It remains more than $100 more per month than any plan on the CO exchange for 2015 and provides fewer services. *le sigh*
My company sponsored insurance went up $35 per pay period (24 pays per year) over last year, It's high deductible, but good coverage for every day and emergency kind of stuff.

Even the cheapest obamacare plan was through the roof for me, like 3 times my company sponsored premium.

Maybe I am doing it wrong?

Maybe I make too much money (I find that hard to believe as I am not baller status)

But the Affordable Health Care Act does not seem affordable to me.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Were those cheap Obamacare plans high deductible?

/me has normal PPO insurance through work, of which I pay 14% of the total premium

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have an HSA with a $1000 dollars still in it I need to burn by the end of the year. What kind of frivolous healthcare can I get? Theraputic gamete release?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
My employer claims that the individual employee pays 1/3 of the cost of his/her health plan with the airline picking up the other 2/3. If one believes this claim (of which I am, a skeptic) that means anyone with a family, on the PPO, has a health care plan that costs, in 2015, a total of $1344.90 a month (ish. this varies a little based on how pay periods fall, some months have 3 pay periods, I'm using a generic 2 pay period month for simplicity sake).

DeductibleSingle: $500
Two-Party/Family: $1,000
Coinsurance20% after deductible
Annual Out of Pocket Maximum*Single: $3,000
Two-Party/Family: $6,000
Office Visit$20 PCP / $30 SP copay
Preventive Care100% Covered
Prescription
Tier 1
Greater of $10 or
10% up to $50 MaximumTier 2
Greater of $25 or
20% up to $125 MaximumTier 3
Greater of $50 or
50% up to $150 Maximum
Cost per Paycheck
Bi-Weekly:
Employee Only: $81.29
Two-Party: $166.26
Family: $206.91Semi-Monthly:
Employee Only: $88.06
Two-Party: $180.12
Family: $224.15

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My employer claims that the individual employee pays 1/3 of the cost of his/her health plan with the airline picking up the other 2/3. If one believes this claim (of which I am, a skeptic) that means anyone with a family, on the PPO, has a health care plan that costs, in 2015, a total of $1344.90 a month (ish. this varies a little based on how pay periods fall, some months have 3 pay periods, I'm using a generic 2 pay period month for simplicity sake).
I can believe it.

Monthly paystub, whole family on plan:

Before-Tax Deductions
AthMedBTax195.48

Employer Paid Benefits
AthMedBTax1,209.71
Details on the plan: http://www.anthem.com/national/noapplication/f0/s0/t0/pw_e214588.pdf . Highlights are $250 individual/$750 family deductible, $6350/12700 individual/family out of pocket limit although I'm not sure how one would get even remotely close to that point. I fund a FSA at a $1000/year rate to cover the deductible + copays.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Your plans look better than what me and my wife are offered in MA (for a couple - PPO for 8k/year, 2k deductible, 4.5k out of pocket. ER visits dip into deductibles and out of pocket,fairly $$$ compared to copays a few years ago.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I don't know how you guys do it. I really don't.
Your monthly contributions to BigPharma are quite a bit more than my mortgage payments.....

I may carry a high tax load, but I don't worry about going bankrupt if I wad up on teh DH bike.

good luck - you guys need it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I don't know how you guys do it. I really don't.
Your monthly contributions to BigPharma are quite a bit more than my mortgage payments.....

I may carry a high tax load, but I don't worry about going bankrupt if I wad up on teh DH bike.

good luck - you guys need it.
Your mortgage is less than $195 pre-tax per month? :derp:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Maybe not 195.00 ...but when I read of people paying over a G-note a month for their insurance...

and igloos are temp hunting shelters when out on teh ice.
Log cabins be the way....sheesh yous guys no nutin about us up here.....

that reminds me, i gotta go and feed the dog-sled team....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You should move to DC.
Ah, no. Never
Don't get me started about their ridiculous ban on radar detectors...made for 5 expensive years of my life! :panic:
That being said, in 15 years living here I have only gotten only 1 ticket. Now my short time in Ohio, I couldn't even think of the future while driving or I ended up with a ticket. Ohio cops also always acted like I had just waved a loaded gun at a group of grade schoolers. Had an Ohio State Trooper scream at me after being pulled over for doing 72 in a 65 on a 4 lane interstate half a mile away from the limit dropping from 70.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Were those cheap Obamacare plans high deductible?

/me has normal PPO insurance through work, of which I pay 14% of the total premium
I did not compare them in detail, my wife did. As a family we had 4 doctors appointments last year (for 4 people) and 2 of those were yearly check ups.

The amount of money extra that I would spend on obama care would negate any possible deductible savings.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
My employer claims that the individual employee pays 1/3 of the cost of his/her health plan with the airline picking up the other 2/3. If one believes this claim (of which I am, a skeptic) that means anyone with a family, on the PPO, has a health care plan that costs, in 2015, a total of $1344.90 a month

Actually not unbelievable at all. We were just quoted a very similar rate at my wife's new job. I can can get a much better plan for the kids and I at over $300 less a month on the exchange. Employer based coverage has replaced the individual market as the place where you get hosed.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Up until recently, when my wife changed jobs, I was paying $1500+/mo for our family of four.
100% out of pocked as I'm self employed and my wife's old job had no benefits.
We're now paying sub $300 for better coverage (includes dental).