Quantcast

My kid's new to him park bike

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
After countless years on a Specialized Gromrock HT(2 yrs 24" stock wheels then 3 yrs 26" wheels) I finally landed a sweet deal on an old small Bullit frame in fantastic shape minus the rear shock (5th completely blown). With the spare parts I had from the years, some with little use at all, I built this up from just over $400 and it only weighs 30lbs 10oz! Giving it to him tonight so he can get used to it before Highland this wknd. Only 6" rear travel as RP23 is 2.25" stroke vs 2.5" stroke of stock 5th. Actually prefer this with the 140mm Revelation up front, old 2010 on old Pike lowers with 20mm axle.

Here's the old Gromrock in action from last week:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
my kids are getting close to out growing their grom hits, trying to decide what direction to go.

Did a 26 fit on the grom hit? was yours an FSR? Did you change the fork and run 26/24?

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
my kids are getting close to out growing their grom hits, trying to decide what direction to go.

Did a 26 fit on the grom hit? was yours an FSR? Did you change the fork and run 26/24?
His is a gromrock which was the burly kids hardtail, like an XS dj frame. Dont know about gromhit. Fork that came on gromrock fits a 26 but it has an old uturn revelation on it now

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
One very happy camper!

Wish I had things to ride like this when I was his age. Honestly though, he's got so many more skills at 14 than I've got from my 40+ years of riding so I'm sure a bike like this would have been wasted on me. It really pays to start young and I'm sure it helps being a Nationally ranked freestyle skier where 60-80' gaps while pulling a 1080 are nothing. I've simply never been comfortable in the air so I seek out roughest rootiest trails I can find as it's the only place I can still beat him at. At Highland I just try to keep up the best I can so I can see him;)