Quantcast

What trail bike tire casings don't suck?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I've been running the Attack HPL on the rear of a couple of my bikes matched to the Vee Flow Snap WCE on the front.
Most people run the attack as a front, but I've found it pretty awesome on the rear, faster rolling than the WCE but not as much grip in mud or loam.
All in all very very happy with it and plan to try it on the front of the Honzo when the Maxxis ass guy burns out.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
What's the inner width of the rim you have the Attack HPL on? You think 35 mm inner would be ok for the front?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Ended up grabbing an enduro casing soft Argotal (1160g 29 x 2.4) and a trail casing endurance compound Xynotal (1080g 29x 2.4) for my Smuggler trail bike. The Enduro casing seems on par with a DD casing thickness wise, while the trail is perhaps an EXO+ or thereabouts.

I initially wanted the casings reversed (enduro for the rear, trail up front) as I'm way harder on rear tyres, but Conti hasn't trickled down the soft compound to the trail casing yet and I didn't want to risk the trail compound up front. Glad I didn't because it feels pretty hard, kinda like a MaxxSpeed or dual compound from Maxxis. The soft compound seems like a MaxxTerra maybe? I don't have a durometer, but the calibrated thumbnail comparison seems about that.

Not sure if its the different rims or just the lighter casings but they fitted up waaaay easier than the DH casing Kryptotals on my Deemax did. First spin on them yesterday, the Xynotal was pretty drifty and I'm less excited about it on the first ride. Less grip than the DHR2 it replaced, a bit spicy on cross-camber. I'd compare it to the Dissector if anything. Not crazy about it but whatever, as long as it holds air and doesn't kill me it will suffice.

The Argotal is bonkers good though. Wasn't sure what they meant by 'loose condition' tyre specifically - like does that mean mud? gravel? loam? soft broken up dirt? Turns out it means all those things - so far so good. Really really good edges in loose gravel and stuff. A bit daunting when it finally does let go, and there is a narrow but noticeable transition 'empty spot' if you tip them in slowly but absolutely gold on the edges. Huge oversteer moments when combined with the Xynotal out back - would probably pair better with a Krypto rear for serious riding/racing but for mucking about and rut banging its a good giggle.

Didn't get to test the Argo on any hard, slippery roots but it worked fine even on slick hard forest clay. Really fun in pea gravel and loose jungle leaf litter. I suspect it would roll terrible on the rear but the 2.4" size might save it, I probably wouldn't run one rear unless I was smashing lift-assist laps on steep loose loamers or something.
Pretty much came to the same conclusion. Except maybe the driftyness of the Xynotal, not feeling it. But on the soft DH casing at 22psi.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Yeah, I ran Argotals during the winter here, and they're pretty great as long as the dirt is somewhat loose. They're not terrible on hardpack, but now that conditions here have gone to majority hard, I'm back on the Kryptotal Front. I could see it being a good year round front tire for somewhere with a lot of loose silty sand / loam - maybe Oregon?

Argotal rear is a boat anchor, and I'd say only run in the same sort of conditions where you'd want a Shorty / Hillbilly out back.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Pretty much came to the same conclusion. Except maybe the driftyness of the Xynotal, not feeling it. But on the soft DH casing at 22psi.
To be fair to the Xynotal I was riding in on stuff that the Argotal was excelling at and they're kind of polarised tyres in that regard. For a "fast rolling" tyre, one of the riding crew commented how noisy it was on the tarmac climb to the trail, but it was brand new so maybe a bit stickier than normal?

Argotal rear is a boat anchor, and I'd say only run in the same sort of conditions where you'd want a Shorty / Hillbilly out back.
Yeah I'm not strong enough to want to try the Argotal out back for anything involving climbing. Hell I won't even run an Assegai or Magic Mary on the rear if I can avoid it. Half due to rolling resistance and half due to preferring the oversteer vs understeer option while descending.