Quantcast

gonefirefightin

free wieners
hey @gonefirefightin if this all falls through want to come out in August and do it? I'll pay all your costs + $10k? :D
Sorry neighbor, haven't been following along as of late since I've been getting all my turds in a bundle. I am assuming you are referring to your deck project, august is out for me as that is Yellowstone month and I will be putting aside my build to chip in for that.

Besides, it sounds like you need a permit for that and I haven't been licensed since 2008 when I became retired. If your contractors are as shitty as the ones around here I will be surprised if it gets done under budget and before the frost.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
oh, I'm quite sure this outfit isn't licensed

but I do have a building permit. and an actual plan. so legit on those fronts at least.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
@Toshi, what is your current ebike? I'm thinking about jobs back in the city and I'm curious about these e-moped/bike hybrids I've seen. I want something that can pass a bike on the bike path, but will save me some energy and time with a throttle. Looking at the Ariel bikes but curious if there's anything else out there.

I have a bike path commute for about 50%, then it'll be some city streets and urban warfare, then bike lanes in the more civilized parts of the city. Current bike is great for what I do, but I'll have to pass through additional bits that are going to suck more.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
commuter bike is a Juiced RipCurrent S. throttle to 20 mph if one so desires. pedal assist with the limit nominally set at 35 mph but due to the voltage and kV of the motor 30 mph with me pedaling briskly is the realistic max. I usually cruise at 24-28 mph putting out maybe 100W myself.

I would not recommend fat bike wheels and 26 x 4" tires for anyone, though. ragrets

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the compressor on our 2015-era Samsung fridge has started to sing the song of its people
so this noise stopped on its own

still having Mr. Appliance come out for a service call tomorrow. perhaps he will spot something wrong with it via familiarity, and worst case I'm out 3/4 the price of going out to Thai Pot once with the fam

edit: second thoughts this morning and cancelled the appointment, as it's silent once again and holding temp just fine

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Mariko played pretty well at her recital.

audition earlier was another story: neither she nor my wife actually read through the instructions well enough to figure out that she needed a solo excerpt as well. so she had the orchestral excerpts worked up well enough but no solo. she pulled one out of the back of her hat but had a memory lapse after the page turn, apparently (I wasn't in the room).

as depicted above also got some free sod from a neighbor going xeriscape. picked it up in the Land Cruiser, laid it down, vacuumed out said Land Cruiser, and moved the mulch from one of the two areas going to be concreted over to some other areas abutting the house from which the mulch has long since flown away

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
so this noise stopped on its own

still having Mr. Appliance come out for a service call tomorrow. perhaps he will spot something wrong with it via familiarity, and worst case I'm out 3/4 the price of going out to Thai Pot once with the fam

edit: second thoughts this morning and cancelled the appointment, as it's silent once again and holding temp just fine

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Forms laid out, base set down and compacted, and tied-in-to-existing-pad rebar in place. Concrete pour tomorrow.

IMG_2690.jpeg
IMG_2691.jpeg
IMG_2689.jpeg
IMG_2692.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Coming along it is. That triangular piece has some fancy blending work along the near edge where the guy is working on it. Flat until 7" or so from edge, then feathered to the walkway from there

445403964_1147984556343476_4883416786352830473_n.jpg
445407734_3250289418437884_3081788996638074558_n.jpg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
imageService.jpeg

going to try an all singing and dancing robot vacuum that also mops. since the main floor has majority hardwood floors and all

Roomba j8+ on the main floor that only does vacuum-stuffs will be put to pasture in the all-carpet basement. (upstairs we have an ancient Roomba 655 from 2016! that's still trucking along, doing its unintelligent random vacuuming deal on a schedule.)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I rode home on a low then flat front tire. In the rain. Handling was sketchy, to say the least.

Anyway, I didn’t find out why the flat happened: rim strip folded a bit but not much, and the pinhole in the tube was not on the inside facing the spoke holes. No thorns, no screws or the like.

New tube in and inflated in any case. And hopefully it’ll be still inflated just the same come tomorrow morning when I choose whether to swing a leg over the usually trusty commuter or grab some car keys

IMG_2713.jpeg

IMG_2714.jpeg

IMG_2715.jpeg

IMG_2716.jpeg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Final brush finish done. Beveled edge looks good.

View attachment 212097View attachment 212098
having these new areas covered with plastic temporarily during afternoon storms reminded me: they need some siloxane as they're naive to it.

ordered 2 gallons to cover these new pieces soundly and give the already treated areas a light refresher. @6thElement you probably should respray your garage roof eh

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
(and note non-boomer use of screen capture, cropping, non-jitterbug fonts, and resizing the inlined image.)

:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
note to self: don't try to cashflow the deck reinforcement. use the HELOC for HELOC-things. (and finance that swim spa at 0% x 18 mo as per their promo sign if that's possible! because that's awesome.)

instead put said positive cashflow from the month into taxable. must plump up taxable for the Japan trip!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm going to replace an AFCI breaker that's tripping, if an outlet tester doesn't show an improper ground at the outlet in question (for a 1250W microwave, tripping a 20A circuit that only it and the range hood are on)

I hope I don't electrocute myself. I'll set the main and two PV system disconnects outside all to off before doing this, and check for no current at the main bus of the main panel before unscrewing wires. but the actual breaker replacement itself seems super trivial. one wire to unscrew/screw and otherwise just snaps in like a puzzle piece.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Busy Forks: now with 100% more permanent plates and tags.

I tried and tried to get my tow hook mount front plate holder to work, but it just wouldn’t screw in on either side.

So I drilled some pilot holes at the handy little divots in the bumper cover, mounted up the factory front plate holder, and found some suitable length M5 machine screws to bolt the plate to the holder (oddly not included, only the two coarse pitch ones for the mount).

Ski country plates + EV sticker was my choice.

IMG_2727.jpeg
IMG_2728.jpeg
IMG_2725.jpeg
IMG_2726.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yeah, looks like brass keys, which my butt-torques have worn out

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 3.46.14 PM.png

so I could spend $15 + my time and service it myself, replacing said brass keys

or I could spend $49 for 3 business day turnaround service (including the keys and whatever it may need), shipping both ways included at that rate

:)

I shall do the latter. I have a period of two weeks in a row where I won't be commuting into work at all coming up so that'll be the perfect occasion.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
it's happening

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 4.56.05 PM.png

wrote up my BaT ad text today. detail June 7, photos inside and out after that, then shall post it and stash it in the garage until it sells.

I'm hoping for $25k. we shall see.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Neighbor down alley got their swim spa craned in today

IMG_2761.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm going to replace an AFCI breaker that's tripping, if an outlet tester doesn't show an improper ground at the outlet in question (for a 1250W microwave, tripping a 20A circuit that only it and the range hood are on)

I hope I don't electrocute myself. I'll set the main and two PV system disconnects outside all to off before doing this, and check for no current at the main bus of the main panel before unscrewing wires. but the actual breaker replacement itself seems super trivial. one wire to unscrew/screw and otherwise just snaps in like a puzzle piece.
Breaker came but too late for such shenanigans

did get to test the outlets in the microwave cabinet, and they are fine wrt ground and neutral etc.

IMG_2776.jpeg
IMG_2778.jpeg
IMG_2779.jpeg
IMG_2780.jpeg

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
IMG_2792.jpeg
IMG_2794.jpeg

animal arranging

IMG_2791.jpeg

kare pan

IMG_2788.jpeg

gonna get two of these. need a $35 for 10 years for the household GMRS license to use it, easy enough. I filled out their form to see if being an MD gets me a discount as a nominal "first responder". worth a try :D