Quantcast

2024 Garden thread?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Do we have one yet?

IMG_0179.JPG
IMG_0180.JPG

Perrenial beds with lotsa' herbs mixed in. Thyme, oregano, marjoram, cilantro, flat and curly parsley, dill. Rosemary, basil, strawberry and some tomatoes in pots. Cilantro also in some planters - it bolts very quickly here. I've got it coming in as a perrenial, some bigger and smaller plug into the dirt plants so it'll be ready at different times. As well in some pllanters so it can be moved around as the weather requires. I love the stuff - this ensures a pretty good replenishing supply for a good part of the year. The taller perrenial plants as they get larger/taller help shade some of the herbs so the don't bolt quite as quickly. Aster for scale.

IMG_0178.JPG

Eversource fuckery - they stuck this pole here two years, saying it was to reinforce the stuff across the street. We'd get a more robust connection out of it in the end. They've not done shit with it since. I just sowed a bunch of nasturtium seeds around the base. We'll see how they do.

IMG_0181.JPG

More potted stuff. Ferns and purple beared iris on the garage/junk side. Always shady/wet, and they do well there. Plus a sage plant that is barely poking above ground now, but gets bigger and bigger every year. Way more sage than we'll ever use. Drainage rock and sand for...

IMG_0182.JPG

...finishing up the grill area bit. Eventually to be a 10x10 area.

IMG_0183.JPG

Tomatoes in big pots, strawberry hanging, more basil. I've found the basil does better in pots here - the ground crawlies/bugs seem to leav it alone vs. eating the shit out of it when in the ground. Strawberry will eventually be around the deck as perrenial groundcover, but we have to finsh some paver work and wash/stain the deck this summer first.

IMG_0184.JPG

Sugar snap peas, more irises, and a bleeding heart that gets larger every year. Got to get my trellis up. A couple jalepeno plants tucked in there not seen in the pic.

IMG_0185.JPG

Two 5x12 beds. Beets, two radish varieties, two carrot varieties in the one on the right. It gets shaded out big-time by the two Koosah dogwoods, so those cooler weather things do better there. Left bed is several types of tomato, zucchini/summer squash, and cucumber. Fenced off bit -those dogwoods shade so much, nothing does well there. DSO loves digging there. In limbo while we decide what to do with the spot. We're thinking rock with a nice littel bench or something. Woodpile for scale. The fireplace is not our primary heat source. All from trees we had to take down anyhow. Nice to have it there and dry/ready as a backup

IMG_0186.JPG

Arugula, mixed lettuces, Swiss chard, and some kale that just. Won't. Die. Shady spot - bolting prevention measure so they last a big longer. Plastic mesh because all the squirrels love this shit early on. Once it gets large enough to need the mesh removed, they seem to leave it alone.

IMG_0187.JPG

Old stone chimney, naked hammock frame, experiment bed. Leftover seed gets thrown in here and we get what we get. My house was built in 1924 in what used to be the Snob Hill of my town. Supposedly this flat upper bit of the back yard was a tennis court.

Whatcha' got?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Still too early to put shit outdoors here. Got a bunch of tomato seedlings in the sunroom along with a few squash plants, a bunch of basil, and some rosemary I'm trying from seed.

Outdoor we've got a few barrels which we'll put herbs into - currently I *think* the only survivor over-winter was the sage. You can't get that shit down. :D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just discussed yesterday with wifey doing lots of tomatoes this year as we've skipped a couple of seasons with life interruptions. Too late to start from seeds, so I might have to see how much they want for plants at the store...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
currently growing two Ghost Pepper plants (one made it through the winter and is 3 feet tall), two Habanero plants 3 varieties of tomato, 1cucumber, 2 raspberry, 1 navel orange, 3 cherry trees, one Nectarine tree, one Clementine.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Just discussed yesterday with wifey doing lots of tomatoes this year as we've skipped a couple of seasons with life interruptions. Too late to start from seeds, so I might have to see how much they want for plants at the store...
We have a friend in Arvada with a greenhouse that sells little starter tomatoes in the spring for like $3 apiece. I can find out when she’s selling if you want…

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I just buy them like this, as I have no where to do seedlings (nor the time and patience). Similar to @Full Trucker 's friend, the seedlings can be had for a few dollars at local greenhouses. Cheap enough to not care, also cheap enough to accidentally end up with way too many.

Nothing on the go here, as we still could get frost at any time.

Just random herbs that are growing on their own and some green onions and chives that seem to just do their own thing every spring.

I did just seed some poppy flowers, cat grass and catnip though!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Got sent for a medical leave from my shrink because my work is such a shit show my brain melted. The plan was to quit in the fall since going on leave 1 month after a promotion is a bit bad (it wasn't really, just a title change. It was too low and now it suggests I'm 5 levels higher and earn 500k because the company is shit at naming positions). GF supports me but now I have to stay in my city since clinically depressed and burned out people apparently can't move acording to the local medicare/nhs equivalent or at least I need to inform them if I do. I went from 0 meds to 5 psychiatric meds in 9 months and 3 other people quit due to burnout in my 9 months here so probably not a good place to work in.

Private life is good though. GF is good. Friends are good. New (old) car might get fixed soon. Might have to postpone buying new brakes for my big bike but that's just life. At least I visited the Azores just as my brain was melting.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Got sent for a medical leave from my shrink because my work is such a shit show my brain melted. The plan was to quit in the fall since going on leave 1 month after a promotion is a bit bad (it wasn't really, just a title change. It was too low and now it suggests I'm 5 levels higher and earn 500k because the company is shit at naming positions). GF supports me but now I have to stay in my city since clinically depressed and burned out people apparently can't move acording to the local medicare/nhs equivalent or at least I need to inform them if I do. I went from 0 meds to 5 psychiatric meds in 9 months and 3 other people quit due to burnout in my 9 months here so probably not a good place to work in.

Private life is good though. GF is good. Friends are good. New (old) car might get fixed soon. Might have to postpone buying new brakes for my big bike but that's just life. At least I visited the Azores just as my brain was melting.
Hang in there man... sounds like you're on the right track - take care of your brain and the rest of yo' own damn self! :thumb:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

What are you gardening with all your new found personal time?

In all seriousness, take the time. Its the job that's causing the issues, not you. Your life and health matter more than making money as some shitty job.

I say take the medical leave and then quit. Or let them fire you? How does severance work there? Especially if your job title has changed and you're now a bigwig ;)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
What are you gardening with all your new found personal time?

In all seriousness, take the time. Its the job that's causing the issues, not you. Your life and health matter more than making money as some shitty job.

I say take the medical leave and then quit. Or let them fire you? How does severance work there? Especially if your job title has changed and you're now a bigwig ;)
I'm an idiot and posted in the wrong thread but I am doing what you say. For now it's day 1 and still kinda thinking about work. Garden will happen later.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I contributed to the general garden fund. We are going to have all the stuff that grows around here. My neighbors have enslaved their children to tend to our garden. So far, I have done nothing other than fix the flat tire on the wheelbarrow.