Quantcast

Anyone use an Ochain thingy?

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Hell yeah...yeah I am waiting for the new easy version since they cost me the same...may just grab one for the other bike and new version for big bike.

Did you notice any void when pedalling right away or maybe questionable pedal stroke where it feels damped?

Just wondering for use on Enduro setup.
On an enduro, yes youll notice it in the pedal stroke, If you like quick engagement. But track depending and with the ability to adjust externally, this could be minimised.
Im not running mine atm as i just built my new Fury frame up. Curious to see if my knees ache again after a big day of hitting rough tracks. With the Ochain this was reduced significantly.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
On an enduro, yes youll notice it in the pedal stroke, If you like quick engagement. But track depending and with the ability to adjust externally, this could be minimised.
Im not running mine atm as i just built my new Fury frame up. Curious to see if my knees ache again after a big day of hitting rough tracks. With the Ochain this was reduced significantly.
Hadn't even thought of the input to joints, I get nerve issues left foot after riding hard....have issues on stairs going down once in a while but always after a aggressive day...

Be curious to see if some of that would be reduced as well....

So adjustable and drop it back to locked on new one or 4 and run it there...????

Short cranks have helped knees for sure ..I'm going back to shorter ones again..

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Yea running at minimal freeplay for climbing. Pinch tracks and the other way for rough descents would be ideal on Enduro. I had the earlier spec without that, set at 9? Degree id not like it for techy pinchy tracks.
I suspect your ankle will be better off at the end of the day.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yea running at minimal freeplay for climbing. Pinch tracks and the other way for rough descents would be ideal on Enduro. I had the earlier spec without that, set at 9? Degree id not like it for techy pinchy tracks.
I suspect your ankle will be better off at the end of the day.
Well the east version will be here tomorrow I'll order another for the slash....since I only pedal if I have too..so swap it for the "C" (booooo) word and then wide open for the downhill..

Yeah If for no other reason I'm excited to see if it helps with ankle and nerves...if not I'm sure the bump could moliamce alone is worth it but the thought of helping pain has me kind of excited now.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Thoughts on it!
Even low engagement hubs it's a crap shoot where the next engagement is at and if it starts to walk it chunder type hits it will ratchet.

O-chain starts of zero regardless and has full degrees.

Can run a higher engagement hub and this will do it's job, but curious to how sloppy it would be with a 18pt and 12* setting

How long will the elastomers last before needing to be replaced and or start to get weak

Longer term effects of wet riding or heat on elastomers say Arizona

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Not his biggest fan, but he can steer a bike. His mechanic Painey is a top bloke, and he can steer too. Those trails are steep and chunky. GoPro numbs it but Jacks hauling. Im riding there next weekend actually.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It would be interesting to see him sit down and do a video with his opinions on the different components he has tested recently.

Being on the YT team seems cool, as they can pick and choose what components to run (somewhat - he's obviously sponsored by Sram/rockshox).

But notice how he has removed the steering damper. Too much faffing for his liking or what? He seemed to like it somewhat on the previous vids.

He also made some good comments on the Maxxis vs Continental thing, but they were buried in a video somewhere.

Not his biggest fan, but he can steer a bike. His mechanic Painey is a top bloke, and he can steer too. Those trails are steep and chunky. GoPro numbs it but Jacks hauling. Im riding there next weekend actually.
Camera dude on the ebike is pretty great too. I forget where they were, but they rode this super steep sketch thing and buddy just sent it out of control :rofl: :rofl:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Not going to watch it...but assuming he believes it's decoupling "kickback" rather than the rear derailleur clutch and chain slap...which is what it's really doing.
It does take the tips out of chatter..got it on V10 now as well...it does detach the excess energy out of the chatter a fair bit...had it on Capra but took that one out it on slash and ordered one for Capra ..wanted to put it on slash dur to having a little more chain line adjustment...

Is it a end all, no does it make a difference yes..no placebo effect, hell I'll sell it and make a few bucks of I don't like it ..

I know lower engagement hubs works too, but if wheel ratchets in chunk it'll throw pedal Everytime it's close to next pawl this starts out at zero ...so there's a slight benefit..
20240429_123257.jpg

20240501_105611.jpg
VideoCapture_20240425-111610.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It does take the tips out of chatter..got it on V10 now as well...it does detach the excess energy out of the chatter a fair bit...had it on Capra but took that one out it on slash and ordered one for Capra ..wanted to put it on slash dur to having a little more chain line adjustment...

Is it a end all, no does it make a difference yes..no placebo effect, hell I'll sell it and make a few bucks of I don't like it ..

I know lower engagement hubs works too, but if wheel ratchets in chunk it'll throw pedal Everytime it's close to next pawl this starts out at zero ...so there's a slight benefit..
.View attachment 211130
View attachment 211131View attachment 211132
Oh yeah, I'm not saying it doesn't make a difference. Taking your chain off makes a huge difference...it's just not for the reasons that a lot of people think (kickback).

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
If you're feeling some benefit on a high pivot bike, doesn't that pretty much confirm that what it's doing is mitigating clutch/derailleur tug, not actual pedal kickback? Since HP design has almost no PK, especially in descending gear range.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Not going to watch it...but assuming he believes it's decoupling "kickback" rather than the rear derailleur clutch and chain slap...which is what it's really doing.
I watched it with heavy use of the fast forward function... but I don't think he actually comments on what it does or how it works. He just describes the effects: takes the edge off chatter, but is kinda wonky pedalling out of corners and in pumpy sections. He seems to want to keep it on. Maybe over the course of a full day's racing, the energy saved from "taking the edge off chatter" is worth it?

I have no desire to get one, so I have no horse in this race. But I'll admit I'm confused about them. On the one hand there's a few riders that I respect that seem to like them and run them (Neko, Ben, and Moir), and on the other hand, there's Steve who's shown it's a load of bollocks... or did he? To be honest, I don't care enough to go back and look... This is just a funny one for me, so I will carry on posting as I see fit, even if I have no value added. :D

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
If you're feeling some benefit on a high pivot bike, doesn't that pretty much confirm that what it's doing is mitigating clutch/derailleur tug, not actual pedal kickback? Since HP design has almost no PK, especially in descending gear range.
Normally yes, slash is mid high pivot and when I drop bike the pedal kicks back a smidge .so it's more of a trail and error on that one to see...I know they are running them on the new session high pivots (like one I had) other side of pond and liking it..

I think it's cause both aren't a real high pivot with massive rearward arch... A commencal is really backward as is Jedi and those actually are numb on rocks I love that feeling..

Grabbing speed while hammering through is awesome.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I don't think it's a massive answer for pedal movement, no chain would be...it has a little space between pedalling but not anymore than say a 18th pawl hub...
The slack out the corners is negated by more control in other areas including chattery berms...carry a little more speed uninterrupted and exit slightly faster then pedal.

There's 2 sides to it for sure, I can ride well without it...plenty fast and nasty...but I know what I don't like on a course and which bikes killed it on those areas..so if I can take a bike that does it well in other areas and increase it's ability to get me where I like them it's a win win ..but that's for me..