Quantcast

Great Pumpkin spotted!

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Well, actually it's just the fork that's spotted. But since I've finally got the Jabber to where it's "done," (and since the forum traffic has been pretty slow) I thought I'd post a photo. Our perfect fall weather just keeps on giving, with mild temps and lots of leafy color, so I headed out again this afternoon after watching my Redskins lose. Man, I love riding this bike! It's been a few weeks since upping the Reba to 100mm travel (and few weeks more since swapping out the ODIS for the Reba), and I'm torn. There's no denying that the handling - esp. climbing - is better at 80mm, but it's so much more plush at 100mm, and still handles quite well. If I lived someplace w/ buff ST, or if I were 20 years younger, I'd set it at 80 and not look back. But I think I'll be waffling for a while, and loving every minute of it. This bike has my Retrotec collecting dust. Build for my 6'0" 195# self is:
Medium Jabber w/ '10 Maxle Reba
WW LT front & Ignitor Rear, both ghetto tubeless (but will switch back to a Rampage on the front shortly)
Salsa Delgados laced to Nashbar & Performance (R&F) hubs
old Flite Alpes Ti saddle atop a Moots layback post
Truvativ Stylos and a Sinz ISIS BB, 32x22 gears
Louise FR brakes, 200 front and 160 rear
Ritchey Pro 80mm stem, FSA K-Force carbon bar, and Rocky lock-ons

Being at 7300 feet, the snow's bound to fly soon, but this has been the longest-lasting fall that I can ever remember, and as all MTBers know, that's the best time of year for riding. Happy trails to one and all,
- Joe

Attachments

Last edited:

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Yep, but barely. You want it? It gets me to work reliably every day, but it needs ALOT of work, and I'd rather put the effort into keeping up my Cherokee. Special deal for you, Mark: $300 and I'll throw in a 6-pack and a guided local ride if you come get it! There's a good chance you could make it back home w/o any repairs, but it wouldn't be a fun drive.

Does that Subaru Brat still run?

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Nice orange Jabber. I have the 1st edition of the Jabber (also orange) and think it works best with the fork set at 100 mm. The steering is slightly more floppy but worth it due to the extra bump absorption.

SingleGuy

Chimp
Feb 2, 2008
Japan
Nice bike!

Why not 90mm? I have a Bandersnatch too, and I felt the same dilemma. I ended up chopping up the spacer to make two 5mm spacers and now have a 90mm Fox fork. Almost as plush as 100, almost as snappy handling as 80 - I like it, it's been that way for over a year now, which is a record for me. I also never got more than 95mm travel in the 100 setting anyway, I highly doubt I could notice that last 5mm.

Last edited:

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Nice bike!...Why not 90mm?...
Thanks! That's not a bad idea. I think I'd read about someone doing that a while back. Perhaps I'll give it a go next time I open up the fork. Reba tip: I've been pulling the spacers out thru the top (twice now), and have yet to damage the O-ring. Also, if you orient the fork horizontally, you don't lose any oil out the bottom when you open it up.
- Joe