Quantcast

is there a light & fast 29er?

qwik

Chimp
Jul 27, 2008
Metro Boston
Or is that an oxymoron?
Hello people,
Early this year bought my first mtn bike, a hardtail 29er, the Gary Fisher Cobia. I'm loving the trails! But, this bike is... a 30 lb lead sled. I ride with fast company and can't keep up for long.
I'm lusting for better overall performance, especially in acceleration and sustained speed. Is this possible with a custom 9er, like a carbon Curtlo? Or, any mtn bike, for that matter?
Thanks!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The Cobia is an entry level 29er - just like an entry level 26er - it has lower level components on it which = heavy.

You could replace items as they wear out with lighter wheels, fork, cranks etc as the frame is the same as other AL fisher frames.

But there are plenty of lightweight 29ers to choose from if you can pony up the bucks to get one.

Fisher Superfly, Look at the Salsa Mamacita, Custom steel frames can be made very light as well.

Tons of options. YOu are only limited by your wallet!

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I'd suggest a wheel swap. the Cobia shares the same frame as Fishers higher spec Paragon, so the frame you already have is a pretty decent one.

Take that rear wheel out and hang it on a scale. I bet it weighs somewhere north of seven pounds, maybe eight. You can get a really nice set of wheels, or even a middle of the road set that should shave two to three pounds of rotational weight right off the bat. You will definitely notice that! It'll be money very well spent.

Swap out your bars, stem, and seatpost for at least another pound of weight.

I should think you could attain 26lbs with these weight saving ideas really easy. There's no way you'd spend as much as you would on a new custom frame or a new bike.

Or.......if you've got the money, it would be easy to just plunk it down and ride off on a new steed. Whichever........Ther are definitely lighter 29"ers to be had. You may already be riding yours.

qwik

Chimp
Jul 27, 2008
Metro Boston
Thanks guys. Glad to know these 29's can do better. Guitar Ted, you're right, those stock wheels are heavy as hell. And, thanks for sharing the info about the frame. It's good to know at least the frame is decent.
Does anyone have experience with a custom bike from Curtlo? A friend suggested them.
Thanks!