Quantcast

Videos (and pics) that don't suck

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Boy can flick that little bike around for sure.
Dunno if they're still around but some of the old vids of local riding he made when he was a just a kid were pretty sick too.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Ripping some turns mate
TL;DW: "they both do different things bettah!"

(sounds like he likes the Assegai better for the front: more grip, and they "communicate" their limits better - as in they'll let you know gradually as you approach their limits. But he likes the stiffer casing of the conti's better on the rear, they hold their lines better and won't step out in the chatter...

How this translates to average joe riders is the big question. but at least if gives me something to pay attention to and think about as I'm riding)

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I think this was posted before
but the part where one of the kids says Jordie Lunn's part is the sketchiest is what made the whole video for me... truer words were never spoken!

Make you feel young again
In perhaps 1971 I mounted two large model aircraft engines on the steel drop handlebars of my Raleigh three speed commuter and, with assistance starting engines by an engineer from GE who got his tie entangled in one of the propellors, went home from the MIT Instrumentation Laboratories. It was the only time riding through Central Square in Cambridge that all automotive traffic deferred to me.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018

Friend of mine has a small team I help out with (WCNB on insta). National DH series is back for 2024 and for our 11 year old it was her first plane ride, first trip to the national capital region and she did pretty well. The girls, 11 and 14, have to race the Women's Open cat because the women's field is still small and growing but they've been riding since they were toddlers so they're okay.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
On a somewhat related note... I've been getting a shit-ton of creaking from my seatpost in my 2016 Carbon Patrol. I've definitely narrowed it down to the post caus' if I leave it in, grab the rear wheel and flex it side to side, it creaks. I took out the post and repeated the flex test and no noise. I'd put on a thin layer of carbon paste, and that quieted the creak for about 1.5 rides. I just glooped on a thicker layer this time, I'll see how long that lasts.

But my question is: is the creaking because my frame is starting to flex at the seat post (I didn't think carbon had a fatigue life, but maybe it does?), or is it caus' the anodizing on my post is gone and it's moving around just enough to make the noise (see pic below)? Thoughts?
1715005043051.png

oh, and since this is video thread, here's one from the weekend (haven't watched it yet, but usually Cathro's videos do not suck)

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I put a light coating of marine grease on the bottom ~4" or so of my seatposts. I find it helps with creaking and also helps with water ingress down into the lower bike body. In my experience, carbon paste made things worse (and scoured the post like yours).

I also put a thin coating of the same grease between the seat tube collar & seat tube, and inside/outside of any size adapter shims (if applicable).