Minneapolis
So much property.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
It absolutely is.
So much property.

"Single family" my ass. Fit at least 4 families in that monstrosity...

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Not really Zillow but:

From NY Times
Under this E-ZPass approach to antitrust enforcement, industries rapidly consolidated until the United States was left with four major airlines, three major cellphone companies and two dominant makers of coffins. A 2018 analysis concluded that concentration had increased in three-quarters of domestic industries, giving companies more power to raise prices, squeeze suppliers, suppress wages and influence policymakers.
Americans have been living as subjects in a large-scale experiment in letting big companies do as they please, and the consequences are increasingly apparent in daily life. Compare the United States with Europe, where authorities have more successfully resisted the consolidation of major industries. Airfares in the United States are now significantly more expensive; North American airlines pocketed more than twice as much in profits from each passenger in 2022 as their European counterparts did. The internet costs more, too: Americans pay more than twice as much for broadband, and the cost of cellular service is also, on average, more than twice as high in the United States as the average in other developed nations. The economist Thomas Philippon wrote in a 2019 book about the decline of competition in the United States that the American economy would be roughly $1 trillion larger than it is today if the United States had simply maintained the level of competition that prevailed in 2000.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I saw that yesterday. It’s fucking hilarious, because they quote the average median price for a home in Jackson as being 1.5 million. It’s currently $5 MILLION.
That is not a typo.

”For the first time in Jackson Hole real estate history, the average price for a single-family home topped $5 million at the end of 2022, doubling from 2019, when the average price was $2.6 million, according to the Viehman Group’s semi-annual report. In the last quarter of 2022, the average rental rate for a home in Teton County was 13.3% higher than it was the year before, and the cost of living was 67% higher than the statewide average, according to an analysis by the Wyoming governor’s office.”

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I saw that yesterday. It’s fucking hilarious, because they quote the average median price for a home in Jackson as being 1.5 million. It’s currently $5 MILLION.
That is not a typo.

”For the first time in Jackson Hole real estate history, the average price for a single-family home topped $5 million at the end of 2022, doubling from 2019, when the average price was $2.6 million, according to the Viehman Group’s semi-annual report. In the last quarter of 2022, the average rental rate for a home in Teton County was 13.3% higher than it was the year before, and the cost of living was 67% higher than the statewide average, according to an analysis by the Wyoming governor’s office.”
Is that because a single family home around there is a massive mansion with helipad?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I walk around at home with no shoes or socks, carpet is much kinder on my feet.
Hardwood/tiles etc fucks with my plantar fasciitis something chronic.
Carpet all the way!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I walk around at home with no shoes or socks, carpet is much kinder on my feet.
Hardwood/tiles etc fucks with my plantar fasciitis something chronic.
Carpet all the way!
we like carpet for the upstairs (and basement) for this reason

but most of the time I walk around in my indoor pair of Hoka Ora Luxe recovery slides. because they are super comfy

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
The only pseudo carpet in our house are the mats on the tile floor in front of the showers. Pergo in the bedrooms and Ceramic tile everywhere else. Its the only way to keep the house clean when you have 4 long haired dogs that shed a lot. Broom dustpan and a wet swiffer will clean the entire house

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have rugs in my house to stop the dogs claws from tearing up the fir floors. They get dragged outside and pressure washed every once in a while.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
philly on zillow is depressing.....nothing but row houses and condos as far as the eye can see....

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
That report is bullshit, and based on old numbers. They did update it, but still showed the old (Jackson) median average at about $836,000. They did post the new correct one, though, at over $5 Million.
So I don’t know what the fuck they are saying.
“mind these are the median home prices. Earlier this year, Jackson broke a record for the average single-family home price of nearly $5 million.”

Which, I believe, makes it the most expensive on the planet.
Vineyard Haven is for the poors, bros.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Oh wow......#6

So yeah that's south of carson city and honestly the cheapest neighborhood in that area. Not even close to tahoe housing prices 30 minutes away.

yeah I wouldn't trust anything those idiots put together based on that. Literally a mile away are WAY more expensive houses.

#sierracement™ pic for rideit, future martha's vinyard resident

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
@rideit If you didnt live in Jackson - where would you want to live?
In all seriousness, probably a few months in different places. There isn’t one single place that has the weather I am looking for, really. I genuinely loved Durango, want to check out Bellingham, I already go to Perú once or twice a year, Mexico, possibly Portugal, possibly some time in the Pyrenees. (I am currently studying Spanish, French, and Portuguese)
Definitely a few months in New Zealand if Dave would just turn the fucking wind off.
You know, Honky Havens that have trails n’ stuff.
And Authentic street foods, no pâté or fois grois.
Maybe merguez Sausages on a great baguette with mustard while in France.
But Jackson in June and September are fucking incredible. (As are the powder days, and terrain we have here in January and February).
Next door to Woo?
I PROMISE I won’t overpay.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ok that map makes no sense. #9 is 30 minutes from here and is a shithole ranching / college town. Whats the parameters for a "town" ?
that garnerville ranchos is moderately 'incorporated' as basically a bigass HOA but it ain't no town. Incline Village just up the hill by me on the lake is even more of an organized setup with house prices about 5x that.

basically this report tells me lending tree is run by morons

and snowbrains is an oxymoron but anyone familiar with them already knew that