Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've used Shoe Goo to re cover seats with great results. Use some heat to break down the old adhesive when you're stripping the old cover off, it's easy to shred the underlying foam otherwise.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Went to pickup something at my Rocky dealer...had no intention of buying a bike... and then this thing followed me home.

I need to swap over parts from my old Altitude, but the product manager did a commendable job on this build - Grip 2, DHX, double downs and cushcore with what feels like a reasonably light alloy frame for $5600.

Rocky_Altitude_2024.jpg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I spent far too much time replacing bearings in SC's to want one myself, but your wee rear shock testing rig looks pretty cool!
Where did you get that from?
Was it pricey?
Off road only
It's pretty complete there's a few things I'd change and or add for safety, convenience and speed...but it's well designed.
Was around $1400 with all attachments, adapters and complete.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
IMG_5559.jpeg
GiantTrance X Advanced Pro 29 SE. I swapped out the grips, saddle and had to tighten the rear wheel spokes up a bit. It also took an hour to update Flight Attendant and set up the suspension correctly. But once it’s done it’s set and forget. This bike flat out flies and climbs incredibly well for bike with 135mm rear and 150mm front suspension. I am so glad I bought the bike after debating with myself about if over the past few weeks.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I spent far too much time replacing bearings in SC's to want one myself, but your wee rear shock testing rig looks pretty cool!
Where did you get that from?
Was it pricey?

That's the original Party Boy's side hustle.

Good guy, I worked with him back in the day.
He's been a suspension engineer at Fox, Specialized, X-Fusion, Marzocchi, and currently back at the Big S for round two.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Updated the Meta AM this year with a few bits to keep it fresh :
-New Ohlins TTX2 rear shock
-New RockShox Domain RC fork (got it so cheap I wanted to try the chassis)
-New Kryptotal F DH supersoft front
-New Chromag HiFi BSX 35mmx35mm stem (shortest I've ever tried)
-I also have an RXF36m.2 and an RXF38m.2 to install later on, but don't tell my wife.
2024-metaam01.jpg

The NS hardtail did receive the Meta's previous fork, which feels a lot less dead than the Helm Coil MK1 it replaced.
2024-NS.jpg

Last edited:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Updated the Meta AM this year with a few bits to keep it fresh :
-New Ohlins TTX2 rear shock
-New RockShox Domain RC fork (got it so cheap I wanted to try the chassis)
-New Kryptotal F DH supersoft front
-New Chromag HiFi BSX 35mmx35mm stem (shortest I've ever tried)
-I also have an RXF36m.2 and an RXF38m.2 to install later on, but don't tell my wife.
View attachment 211391

The NS hardtail did receive the Meta's previous fork, which feels a lot less dead than the Helm Coil MK1 it replaced.
View attachment 211410
Nice. What's the fork travel on the hardtail?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Pull them out vs hammering them out?

Thoughts and prayers always works, not sure what you're going on about.
What are you going to brace against to pull them out? Bearing presses are typically one way. For shocks where you have one bushing in the middle, you can press them out, but this largely doesn’t apply to frames.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What are you going to brace against to pull them out? Bearing presses are typically one way. For shocks where you have one bushing in the middle, you can press them out, but this largely doesn’t apply to frames.
Do you know how hammers work?

I feel like you don't know how hammers work.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Are you guys not familiar with bearing setups that have a sleeve between them that is identical to the I.D. Of the bearing, thereby not making it possible to pull or hammer from the back of the bearing?
Because that’s what this tool kit is for.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Are you guys not familiar with bearing setups that have a sleeve between them that is identical to the I.D. Of the bearing, thereby not making it possible to pull or hammer from the back of the bearing?
Because that’s what this tool kit is for.
F*ck bike companies that don't put removal grooves in those sleeves to allow you access for tapping bearings out.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It always seems like when you find the same stuff on aliwhatever for cheaper and cheaper, that it takes longer and longer to arrive. I tried to do that with brake rotors and they just gave up/never sent them and I eventually got money back, but it seems like if you do, they are putting it on a fishing trawler that's going to go the long way around the globe and make port calls in every nation on the way, then 6 months later you might get it.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I found a brand new Vivid on PB being sold from a shop for $150 off, with MOAR SHIMZ tune. It tripped and fell into my ebike. Slapped the same damper settings on as I'm running on the one on my Nomad, and it felt fucking great first ride. I might add a click of HSC or HBO, or a couple PSI, but it feels really close as it is. I'm a big fan of this shock.
IMG_5423.JPG

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I found a brand new Vivid on PB being sold from a shop for $150 off, with MOAR SHIMZ tune. It tripped and fell into my ebike. Slapped the same damper settings on as I'm running on the one on my Nomad, and it felt fucking great first ride. I might add a click of HSC or HBO, or a couple PSI, but it feels really close as it is. I'm a big fan of this shock.
View attachment 211578
Done many laps with it? I'm tempted to get one of those.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
View attachment 211578
I had a similar experience on mine. Feels very nice! The new RS stuff is sweet.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Front wheel is done, I got the We Are One rim so I could re use the front hub and spokes, buuut new hub and spokes.
The rear hub hasn't shown up yet, haven't had a reply from the manufacturer for a couple of weeks, small companies always blame the anodiser, haha!
IMG_20240511_152613.jpg

Still need to drop 10mm out of the fork, because of my fatness it sits higher than it should as the neg springs are crushed by the fists of God.