Quantcast

anyone with first hand exp w/ wrx sti's?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The water injection part is what enables that kind of boost. What ultimately was unreliable was the Walbro fuel pump. Chasing that down in a car with an aftermarket ECU proved to be a full on shitshow. Weeks in the shop...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The water injection part is what enables that kind of boost. What ultimately was unreliable was the Walbro fuel pump. Chasing that down in a car with an aftermarket ECU proved to be a full on shitshow. Weeks in the shop...
So the pump that was asked to deliver fuel well in excess of what it was designed for was unreliable? Or was that also 'upgraded'?

This is why you don't buy modified cars. Stock stuff is well engineered and thouroghly tested. A lot of mods look good on paper, even well engineered ones, might not work as well as thought. Fuel starvation on a heavily boosted engine is a recipe for detonation. That only needs to happen once to destroy an engine.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It had enough flow. It just failed in that the car wouldn't start (not that it starved itself of fuel while running), and diagnosing it took the (tuner) shop a long time.

Walbro 255 lph, it was.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It had enough flow. It just failed in that the car wouldn't start (not that it starved itself of fuel while running), and diagnosing it took the (tuner) shop a long time.

Walbro 255 lph, it was.
Considering doing a megasquirt FI upgrade to the Volvo. Only thing holding me back is the hilarious simplicity of a carb and dizzy, but I want to be able to shoot flames out of the exhaust when I lift at high revs. :)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Considering doing a megasquirt FI upgrade to the Volvo. Only thing holding me back is the hilarious simplicity of a carb and dizzy, but I want to be able to shoot flames out of the exhaust when I lift at high revs. :)
Please do it.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
I don't like them anymore. What was once one of these cars eyeball'd me at a light and tried to make racing car sounds while going by me - like I now must race that jalopy if going the same direction, which we we not.
I need to commute more on my Surly.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Please do it.
If I can control individual injectors:
  • Retard timing as much as possible so I still have burning mixture when the exhaust valve opens
  • Keep one cylinder with regular AFR
  • No fuel to one cylinder to push oxygen into the exhaust
  • One cylinder super rich to pump raw fuel into the exhaust.
  • When the three meet combustion shall take place
If I do this for just a very small RPM range it shouldn't harm the engine or exhaust. Basically anti-lag but with no turbo.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
If I can control individual injectors:
  • Retard timing as much as possible so I still have burning mixture when the exhaust valve opens
  • Keep one cylinder with regular AFR
  • No fuel to one cylinder to push oxygen into the exhaust
  • One cylinder super rich to pump raw fuel into the exhaust.
  • When the three meet combustion shall take place
If I do this for just a very small RPM range it shouldn't harm the engine or exhaust. Basically anti-lag but with no turbo.
Just driving too-difficult? :pilot:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Whoa - you just blew my mind.
For clarification I am talking about a 50 year old station wagon that left the factory with 95 HP 400,000 miles ago. My tinkering and fucking with it has it getting to 60 mph 2 seconds faster than when it was brand new, not to mention a blast to drive. I have put 10,000 trouble free miles on it in the past year. The feedback loop tells me to keep marching forward.

Last edited:

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
For clarification I am talking about a 50 year old station wagon that left the factory with 95 HP 400,000 miles ago. My tinkering and fucking with it has it getting to 60 mph 2 seconds faster than when it was brand new, not to mention a blast to drive. I have put 10,000 trouble free miles on it in the past year. The feedback loop tells me to keep marching forward.
So that'd have to be a P1800 or the like - real cool car, just not sure on all the effort and time into making a micky mouse exhaust.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So that'd have to be a P1800 or the like - real cool car, just not sure on all the effort and time into making a micky mouse exhaust.
It would be the same exhaust that is there now. Would install intake system from a later model that had mechanical fuel injection. Would control with a modern computer. Was just thinking of putting in somewhat of an easter egg in the lookup table at one very specific RPM and throttle position that would not be used during normal driving. It is as simple to do as changing a number in a spreadsheet, and just as easy to undo. I enjoy tinkering with the car as much as driving it.