Quantcast

>@#Turkey Day GMT#@<

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Rode. Went looking for all sorts of off camber shiz and left the forest smiling. I think I even poached two new trails, the dirt was fresh and loose.

Tricking riding today, though. Hero dirt in half the forest and slimesnot dirt in the other half.

Can you tell where I lost all traction here? :D
My friends personal trails look like that but with way more roots, lots of slippery off camber roots. Those kind of trails make you a better rider. :thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My minor excitement on the snowy, icy way home from my sister's place:

There were about 4 or 5 seconds between his light going red and him crossing the intersection. Blatant even for Denver standards--visiting clueless grandparents?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
My minor excitement on the snowy, icy way home from my sister's place:

There were about 4 or 5 seconds between his light going red and him crossing the intersection. Blatant even for Denver standards--visiting clueless grandparents?
Nice save doc. Wife's FB leads me to believe teh springs is an icy hell hole this evening. Might try to extend our stay in So-cal.

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
Thanksgiving is the day of the big ride, this year marking the 40th Anniversary of the Appetite Seminar, an annual ride that pre-dates the term "mountain bike." 750 people this year, and it includes one of the best downhills in the county. I have a pair of construction knee pads, not really cycling gear, but I put them on at the top.

Halfway down, I hit a root or a rock with a pedal, which throws me on top of the bars, where I get to ride out of control another 100 feet while I contemplate what is about to happen.

It happens.

Spin cycle. I hear hard plastic hitting stuff. So much going on so fast that I can only wait until everything stops, ten feet off the trail out in the weeds. Takes me a while to untangle from the bike. Saddle is 90 degrees rotated. H-bars off center. I do not have a scratch or a bruise on me, although the plastic cap on one knee pad is gouged. Next rider along sees me sorting out the bike, asks me if I'm okay. I say yeah, no problem.

He says, you have a bunch of weeds sticking out of your helmet.

I'll be 70 in two weeks.

My friend Joe Breeze, who wrote the foreword for my book, showed up in the same 40 y.o. club jersey that I was wearing. I think both of us wear it once a year, on this ride.

appetite1a.jpg

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I totally overhauled my bike while watching footaball. It seems I have a extra set of Shimano XT brakes and levers. Pulled the can off my rear shock and put much needed fluid in it. Perfectly tightened up my hubs and topped off the Stans in my tires. New cables and housing. Did the 50 minute ride. Chain is worn but works perfect so I will ride it into oblivion. Need to grind down a socket to service my fork. SLX derailluer works pretty good with the XT clutch.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Over the last year my friend Mike upgraded his bike from the Stock SLX to XT. I am not sure why as the SLX stuff works pretty good. In exchange for the wrenching I keep his SLX stuff.