Quantcast

XenForo transition complete: post here with issues

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Tried to comment on someone's ride report and apparently comments in the ride report section need approval from mods at the moment.
Fixed.

Huh. Probably the avatars making things too big then.
Uh... how does "too many pages" correlate to "avatars making things too big"? In any event, I did some checking before the transition - I'd still like to streamline the posts a bit but the avatars aren't that much bigger.

Tried to make a change to my profile and got all this mumbo jumbo;

I am currently without gender. This saddens me.
Try it again, I'm rebuilding the caches I couldn't build yesterday and it's a serious drag on the server. It has to index over 3 million posts, so...

Speaking of animated gifs, what's the max weight of one for an avatar ? It says 200px X 200px but no mention of kb.
I think it's set to 51k right now.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Will new Classified listings always show up on the home page as new threads? Or possibly add which forum the new threads are located in? Or both.
It's a regular forum with sub-forums... The main section can be used for garage sales or stuff that doesn't fit in the other categories, otherwise create for-sale threads in their appropriate forum.

Maybe having the parent forum is confusing? Should I create the /classifieds/ URL as more of a "homepage" for classifieds?

are the new classifieds gonna be filled with spam like the old classifieds? that sh*t was out of hand
No. The reason the old classifieds got nuts is because there were literally no spam management tools or alerting of any kind, and nothing was integrated with the rest of the forums. So if you didn't sit there and monitor them constantly and manually delete things one at a time, it got filled in a hurry.

The new classifieds are a customized forum with some added fields and thumbnails for sorting and viewing. They use all the same spam management tools that I use for the rest of the forum.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm pretty sure this is a YouTube thing, it's happening on at least one other site I'm aware of. I'm investigating.

Also, in the interest of shrinking the user card on each post, I've collapsed reps and likes into the same line... like/no like?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Please kill the avatar display on New Posts results and forum thread title listings, or make it an option.

Also part of this fixed width complaint is likely due to the font size in the posts' bodies being larger. Could that be kicked down a notch, too?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I was talking about the whole site's homepage, where it says "New Thread"

On the old format, new classifieds didn't show up in the "new threads," the new threads also showed what "sub category" the new thread was in.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I was talking about the whole site's homepage, where it says "New Thread"

On the old format, new classifieds didn't show up in the "new threads," the new threads also showed what "sub category" the new thread was in.
Ah. I understand. I have removed the classifieds from the generic new threads widget, I'll create a new one that's dedicated to the classifieds so we have separation and will try to include a sub category.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've updated the homepage new threads widget to have a tab for new forum posts and a tab for new classifieds listings. I have to investigate if there's a way to call the category into that widget but at least they're separate for now.

The YouTube videos were auto-playing for me this morning and now they're not. Are they auto-playing for anyone at this point?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
To what end? VB just showed a generic, meaningless icon.
Visual mess.

Another thing I don't like is the phpBB-style forcing of users to manually mark everything read rather than assuming things are read after a given visit.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Still auto-playing for me, but it's also doing it on other sites as well. So I'd guess it's a Youtube thing?
It's definitely a YouTube thing. 3 sites were doing it to me this morning, now none are, and at least two of them (this forum and another one) had not made any changes before or after. Try clearing your cache.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
speaking of pictures ...

Images can be attached as thumbs or larger, but if you click on the pic to view it opens as full size without an option to view as full screen. I'd think being able to view as full screen OR full size would be nice if it's possible.

Thank you. I'll wait patiently for this important feature.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
itd be nice to have the date the post was made to be in bold or be at the top of the user's post
Yeah, there's a few things about the post layout that need addressing. I'll work on it, just not something that will happen in the next couple days - first I want to make sure all the functional issues are hammered out (and the low-hanging visual ones).

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I may still fiddle with the rep transfer during the upcoming week of testing - it's not that it's impossible to do, just that occasional rep resets aren't a bad thing. Once rep has been running for a bunch of years, it ceases to mean anything since the regulars will all have impossibly high reps.
I won't lie, I am a little sad the rep didn't transfer. I had quite a few nice comments on some of my ride reports, bummed to have lost them. But I also understand.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I miss the "last post" button. Used to be able to click it and see the latest post in a thread.

Now you have to click on the last page of a thread and scroll down to see what has been added.
To see what has been added - new since your last visit - you can just click on the thread title. The default action is to take you to the first unread post.

If you just want to jump straight to the last post:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/threads/jump-to-last-post.270160/#post-4000666

posting hotkeys? alt+s doesn't work anymore
I'll have to investigate this one. I never used the hotkeys in vB.

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
To see what has been added - new since your last visit - you can just click on the thread title. The default action is to take you to the first unread post.

Nope. CLicking on the thread title takes me to the very first post.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC

Nope. CLicking on the thread title takes me to the very first post.
Hmm... I can't duplicate that. Can you try hitting the "mark forums as read" link to set a baseline of everything being read and then click the thread title next time you see something unread?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Having the post # and date/time of post on bottom of the post seems odd. Makes it hard to quickly locate where you may have left off reading last time.

Formatting is also weird. Date/time entry looks to be slightly higher, or a different font than the rest of the data before and after it.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
You now have to click "More Options" and then "Preview" to see what a post looks like prior to actually posting. Can the "Preview" button be added next to the current 3 buttons?

That appears to be how it's setup in the classifieds.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I know I'm late to the game on this, but........this new format fvcking blows. In tons of ways.

I foresee a lot less RM browsing time. Sigh.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I know I'm late to the game on this, but........this new format fvcking blows. In tons of ways.

I foresee a lot less RM browsing time. Sigh.
This kind of feedback is utterly useless. Either provide something useful and specific or feel free to spend less time here.

Seriously, I've probably poured 200 hours in the last year into the planning and execution of this transition, trying to ensure that we're on a modern platform that will actually be sustainable for the long term without losing any data, instead of letting the site rot in crappy software and slowly bleed traffic.

3 months ago, I posted a preview that was extremely similar to this final version with the hopes that I'd get suggestions. Some people took the time to look it over and I got a number of comments that were incorporated into the final version and some that are still in process. You even commented in that thread, but added no comments about the actual preview.

Since the transition, I've been madly trying to fix the little bits and tweaks that people don't like or are causing usability issues.

If all you have to contribute is "this fvcking blows in tons of ways" then I count your opinion for exactly what it's worth: nothing.

For the rest of the people who are contributing actual, useful suggestions, I'll continue to work on this. It'll never precisely satisfy everyone but we'll get to happy medium.